The Tupelo City Council demanded the owner of the former Thomas Kincannon-Elkin drugstore building make structural improvements to the facility, saying loose bricks could pose a hazard. Meanwhile, its owner cites an opinion of a structural engineer stating the building is sound. Daily Journal local government reporter Caleb Bedillion (6:45) joins Derek and guest host Lauren Wood to talk about the controversy over the structure, which most recently was home to the Atlanta Bar and Grill. Also on today’s show, education reporter Emma Kent (11:20) talks about the Special Olympics, M. Scott Morris (19:59) reviews “I Saw the Light,” and Derek (23:29) discusses what is happening this weekend. Derek and Lauren also talk about their roles in this weekend’s performances of “The Peacemakers” by Baldwyn Main Street Players.
- #242: Weekend edition: Old-Time Piano Playing Festival, Karen’s Cake Shoppe & “Alien: Covenant” – 05/26/17
- #241: Corinth Schools take innovative approach – 05/24/17
- #240: Weekend edition: “King Arthur,” Tupelo Hog Roast and a Biltmore salad – 05/19/17
- #239: Federal authorities won’t charge Tupelo officer in Shumpert shooting – 05/17/17
- #238: Weekend edition: GumTree Festival & “Guardians of the Galaxy” – 05/12/17