After Mississippians traveled in droves to other states to buy tickets for the recent Powerball drawing, some lawmakers have called for Mississippi to consider adding a state lottery. Others remain strongly opposed. Daily Journal Capitol Bureau Chief Bobby Harrison (10:08) joins Brad and guest host Emma Kent to discuss the debate and what may happen. Also on today’s show, Tupelo civil rights attorney Kenneth Mayfield (2:43) speaks of his remembrance of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., how he was inspired by the civil rights leader and how far we’ve come as a society since King’s death. Business editor Dennis Seid (20:00) has details from the announcement that Wal-Mart Stores Inc. will close six Walmart Express stores in north Mississippi, and Brad (24:08) has the highlights from last week’s crime reports.
- #233: Tupelo Schools to start STEM initiative & Chick-fil-A nears reopening – 04/26/17
- #232: Weekend special: Tupelo Film Fest, Mediterranean bread salad & “Going in Style” – 04/14/17
- #231: Program aims to attract more top students to become teachers – 04/12/17
- #230: Weekend special: Flavorful salads, “Ghost in the Shell,” & “Ax of Murder” – 04/07/17
- #229: Tupelo creates police advisory board – 04/05/17