After Mississippians traveled in droves to other states to buy tickets for the recent Powerball drawing, some lawmakers have called for Mississippi to consider adding a state lottery. Others remain strongly opposed. Daily Journal Capitol Bureau Chief Bobby Harrison (10:08) joins Brad and guest host Emma Kent to discuss the debate and what may happen. Also on today’s show, Tupelo civil rights attorney Kenneth Mayfield (2:43) speaks of his remembrance of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., how he was inspired by the civil rights leader and how far we’ve come as a society since King’s death. Business editor Dennis Seid (20:00) has details from the announcement that Wal-Mart Stores Inc. will close six Walmart Express stores in north Mississippi, and Brad (24:08) has the highlights from last week’s crime reports.
- #242: Weekend edition: Old-Time Piano Playing Festival, Karen’s Cake Shoppe & “Alien: Covenant” – 05/26/17
- #241: Corinth Schools take innovative approach – 05/24/17
- #240: Weekend edition: “King Arthur,” Tupelo Hog Roast and a Biltmore salad – 05/19/17
- #239: Federal authorities won’t charge Tupelo officer in Shumpert shooting – 05/17/17
- #238: Weekend edition: GumTree Festival & “Guardians of the Galaxy” – 05/12/17